HUYTON PARISH CHURCH
It seems that in all probability the Church existed here in Saxon times. The ancient font which is in use today may possibly be Saxon and is thought to be part of the original church. Amongst the clergy the earliest recorded is Ernald who was chaplain in 1191 and Richard, son of Robert who was Rector about 1228. A list of all the clergy right up to the present day is displayed in the porch of the church. Other interesting facts are that in 1277 Roger de Meulanm Bishop of Lichfield ordained a vicarage and in 1291, the church was estimated to be worth £10 per annum!
Over the years the church has passed through many phases of alteration. The most recent addition to the church is the installation of a kitchen and a much needed toilet. This project was completed at the beginning of September 2011 and compliments the now well used Community Room.
For those who are interested in the history of Huyton Parish Church, a leaflet is available in church and a copy is available here: HPC-history.pdf
Further information about Huyton can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huyton
Watch this space for more recent findings about the long and varied history of this church...... there have been some very interesting surprises.
This is a more comprehensive history of the church. Please take note of the last paragraph on the first page.